Norwegian operate a route of low cost flights from their hubs beyond Europe.  I've previously had the pleasure of flying their Boeing 737-MAX 8 across the Atlantic to Windsor Locks, as well as their 737-800s from Providence to Edinburgh and on a multifariousness of short haul routes in Europe.  One aircraft I've never flown, yet, is their Boeing 787.  They operate a fleet of these on long haul routes to the USA, Asia and South America.

One crucial divergence from the 737 fleet is the addition of a Premium Economic system cabin which, compared to their economy production, offers wider seats, more than legroom, and a Premium Menu onboard.

Arriving at Seattle

I flew Norwegian on their Seattle to London Gatwick road, which recently resumed for the summer flavor.  I arrived at Seattle's Tacoma airport from an entering flying from Los Angeles.  I hadn't been able to check in online so checked in at the drome.

TSA/Security

As a Premium Economy passenger I was entitled to employ the priority TSA line, which was handy as the standard line was very long.

Lounge: The Social club at Bounding main

Norwegian recently changed their lounge policy.  Previously, Premium Economy passengers had been immune lounge admission, only they took this perk away.  My booking, yet, had been made before the change, and so I decided to try my luck at the Gild at SEA lounge.

I explained my state of affairs to the receptionist who was almost understanding and allowed me admission.

The lounge is pretty basic and a footling shoddy, but offers a fully stocked bar and a few snacks.

Boarding

Boarding was called approximately an hr before scheduled deviation. and I made my way downwardly to the gate.  The gate expanse was absolutely packed, and it soon became articulate that they were boarding two flights from the aforementioned gate.  At that place was a Delta flight to San Francisco also going - with passengers of both flights combining into organised anarchy.

Subsequently the Delta flight left they announced boarding for our flight. Once again this descended into anarchy as ever passenger just surged frontward when pre boarding was called.

Finally, Premium Economy boarding was appear, and nosotros made our way outside to a bus to take us to the aircraft.

On arriving at the aircraft it became clear nosotros'd be boarding not via steps, but via a foreign ramp that I've not seen before.

This was a slightly unconventional mode of boarding merely information technology did go us very close to the huge engine on the Boeing 787-9.

Welcome onboard (or were nosotros?)

Nosotros were greeted onboard by a rather forced grin and I headed to my seat.

Premium economy
Premium Economy on Norwegian. Photo: Noel Philips/Unproblematic Flying

The Premium Economy motel is in a 2-3-2 layout.  The seats take large TV screens in the armrests, and pretty decent legroom however the seats aren't particularly comfy, as I'll cover later.

The ramp was finally pulled abroad and we joined the queue for takeoff.

After takeoff we were soon to a higher place the clouds, and started making our way across Canada.

Nosotros got some great views of the Canadian Rockies.

Dinner

Dinner today was a rather uninspiring chicken dish.  The presentation wasn't keen (after information technology had been practically thrown onto my tray past the flight bellboy, served from a paper-thin box).

The views from the window proved slightly more inspiring.

Free Onboard WiFi

I tried the free inflight WiFi which got me a reasonable iii.68Mbps download, and rather predictably 0Mbps upload.

Inflight Amusement

The inflight map on the 787 is pretty decent and gives some useful information nigh the flight.

Sleep (or lack of)

A few hours after takeoff I dimmed the windows to endeavour and get some sleep.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go any slumber.  The legroom in Premium Economy is pretty decent but the seat doesn't recline very far - and the width combined with the fixed armrest precludes crimper upward on the seat, or indeed any position other than slightly reclined.

I ordered a couple of items from the inflight screen, just nothing turned up.  I also used the call bell to request a beverage of water - again nothing turned upwardly, and at that place were no coiffure anywhere to be found in the galley. I didn't come across whatsoever coiffure from shortly after the offset meal service until breakfast the post-obit forenoon.

Breakfast

Breakfast was served up as the sun rose - information technology was a cheese and meat blazon dish and wasn't peculiarly appetising.

Descent and Landing

We commenced our descent over Northern England down towards Gatwick.

We touched down on a grey, murky morn in Southern England.

I was hoping for at least a grin from the flight bellboy as I disembarked, but one time again got nothing.

Overall Verdict

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with Norwegian's service in Premium Economy.  Their previous service in economic system has been fantastic, albeit on routes out of Scotland or Ireland. The Gatwick based crew on this flight however were not neat, and the seat was very uncomfortable.  For the price paid (£550) yous can get a cheaper economy class ticket with British Airways and pay for an get out row - and more likely have better service and comfort.

Why Certain Airlines Allow Families And Military Personnel To Board Starting time

Read Next

Well-nigh The Writer